Weardale Adventure Centre
Mon: 9.00am – 4.00pm
Tue: 9.00am – 4.00pm
Wed: 9.00am – 4.00pm
Thu: 9.00am – 4.00pm
Fri: 9.00am – 2.00pm
The Centre – Functioning around a 80-bed, fully catered residential centre, Weardale Adventure Centre offers a multitude of high-quality, outdoor and adventure education, activities. Founded in 1978, the centre has been an integral part of the local community and as such utilises local venues alongside on-site activities to provide groups with a thoroughly enjoyable experience. As such, the centre regularly welcomes back groups that have been utilising the facilities, in some cases for over 20 years!
Beyond life on activity, the centre provides opportunities to relax and enjoy the countryside. Set in 5-acres of grounds consisting of gardens, lawns and fields and fully enclosed within historic dry-stone walls – the site provides a true taste of ‘life in the north’, freely accessible and for use by students, guests and supporting staff. The centre boasts a large playing field for that evening ‘kick-about’, a games room including a pool table, ping-pong table and table football. We also have outdoor toilets and showers (for those muddier moments) as well as ample space to find some time for peace and reflection.
The house itself is a comfortable and spacious three story building with the upper two floors being dedicated to accommodation and bathrooms, all of which are cleaned daily whilst in use by groups. The ground floor consists of a comfortable staff room, a large common room as well as the dining room and kitchen, all of which have views of the gardens and grounds. The house is centrally heated with hot and cold running water throughout.
Our Groups and Activities – The centre can cater for just about any group, with any needs, however we tend to spend much of our time delivering high quality educational programmes to school groups between the ages of 8 and 18. Whilst these groups may be the staple of centre life, we also cater for hen/stag parties, birthday parties, family fun days, cubs and scouts and corporate development.
We offer a multitude of activities and packages as well as being in the fortunate position of being able to offer bespoke and custom programmes to prospective clients, these can take place on-site, locally within the Weardale area, or even further afield such as the Lake District, Yorkshire and Northumberland.
Just some of the activities we currently offer;
- High Ropes – Aerial course with individual and team challenges
- Bushcraft – Shelter building, survival and knife skills, fire lighting and cooking
- Climbing – Introduction and skills session climbing on a local outdoor rock face
- Archery – Test your aim on our archery range
- Gorge Walking – Great fun activity getting thoroughly wet with jumps and slides in a beautiful gorge
- Underground Exploration – Take a trip into a fascinating local Lead Mine where adventure, engineering, geology and history all intermingle
- Canoeing – Open canoeing on one of our two venues (both local)
- Raft Building – Design, build and test a raft on a local tarn
- Wilderness Challenge – A hike around the Weardale valley with team/individual tasks along the way
- Hill Walking – Hill walking around the Weardale Valley learning navigational skills
- Crate Stacking – A great fun activity to test your balance to build a tower of crates with yourself on top, then leap off on the safety line to be lowered to the ground
- Team Building – Various challenges and problem solving activities
Accreditation – We are licensed through theAdventurous Activities Licensing Authority (AALA) – Registration Number L12197/R2312
All staff are DBS checked prior to employment
Weardale Adventure Centre
Tel: 01388 537 387
whatsonnortheast.com15:55, 19 FebFollowing visits to Dorchester, Birmingham, Belfast and Glasgow, the Natural History Museum's iconic Diplodocus ske… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…